- The definition of turgid is something swollen or bloated, or language or style that is designed to show-off.
- When your stomach is bloated and swollen, this is an example of a situation where it would be described as a turgid stomach.
- When someone talks all the time about how great and wealthy he is, this is an example of something that would be described as turgid conversation.
- swollen; distended
- bombastic; pompous; grandiloquent
Origin of turgidClassical Latin turgidus ; from turgere, to swell
- Excessively ornate or complex in style or language; grandiloquent: turgid prose.
- Swollen or distended, as from a fluid; bloated: a turgid bladder; turgid veins.
Origin of turgidLatin turgidus, from turgēre, to be swollen.
- tur·gid′i·ty, tur′gid·ness
(comparative more turgid, superlative most turgid)