- When your stomach is bloated and swollen, this is an example of a situation where it would be described as a turgid stomach.
- When someone talks all the time about how great and wealthy he is, this is an example of something that would be described as turgid conversation.
The definition of turgid is something swollen or bloated, or language or style that is designed to show-off.
- swollen; distended
- so bombastic and congested as to obscure meaning: a turgid writing style
Origin of turgidClassical Latin turgidus from turgere, to swell
- Excessively ornate or complex in style or language; grandiloquent: turgid prose.
- Swollen or distended, as from a fluid; bloated: a turgid bladder; turgid veins.
Origin of turgidLatin turgidus from turgēre to be swollen
- tur·gid′i·ty tur′gid·ness
(comparative more turgid, superlative most turgid)