The definition of expansive is taking up or covering a wide area or space, or open and inclusive.adjective
- A vast open landscape is an example of an expansive area.
- A club that lets everyone in and is open to hearing all ideas is an example of a club that has an expansive mission.
- tending or being able to expand
- of, or working by means of, expansion
- widely extended; broad; extensive; comprehensive
- characterized by a free and generous nature; sympathetic; demonstrative; open: an expansive person
- Psychiatry in or of a state characterized by overestimation of oneself, overgenerosity, euphoria, and, at times, delusions of grandeur
Origin: < L expansus (see expanse) + -ive
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Capable of expanding or tending to expand.
- Broad in size or extent; comprehensive: expansive police powers.
- Open and communicative; talkative or effusive: Wine made the guest expansive.
- Grand in scale: an expansive lifestyle.
- ex·panˈsive·ly adverb
- ex·panˈsive·ness, exˌpan·sivˈi·ty noun