- The definition of pretentious is someone or something that claims to be very important or grand.
An example of pretentious is someone saying they deserve a table in a crowded restaurant because of who they are.
pretentious definition by Webster's New World
- making claims, explicit or implicit, to some distinction, importance, dignity, or excellence
- affectedly grand; ostentatious
Origin: French prétentieux ; from prétention, pretension plush -eux, -ous
pretentious definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Claiming or demanding a position of distinction or merit, especially when unjustified.
- Making or marked by an extravagant outward show; ostentatious. See Synonyms at showy.
- pre·tenˈtious·ly adverb
- pre·tenˈtious·ness noun