- An example of lofty used as an adjective is the phrase a lofty tree which means a tree that is very tall.
- An example of lofty used as an adjective is the phrase lofty writing which means writing full of complex words, phrases and images.
The definition of lofty is very high in the air, elevated in character, or overly grand.
- very high: a lofty peak in the Alps
- elevated; noble; sublime
- haughty; arrogant
- Of imposing height.
- Elevated in character; exalted.
- Affecting grandness; pompous.
- Arrogant; haughty.
Origin of loftyMiddle English noble from loft upstairs room, sky ; see loft .
(comparative loftier, superlative loftiest)
Middle English, noble, from loft (“upstairs room, sky").
- (informal) nickname for a tall (usually male) person