- The definition of lofty is very high in the air, elevated in character, or overly grand.
- An example of lofty used as an adjective is the phrase a lofty tree which means a tree that is very tall.
- An example of lofty used as an adjective is the phrase lofty writing which means writing full of complex words, phrases and images.
lofty definition by Webster's New World
lofty definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective loft·i·er, loft·i·est
- Of imposing height.
- Elevated in character; exalted.
- Affecting grandness; pompous.
- Arrogant; haughty.
Origin: Middle English, noble, from loft, upstairs room, sky; see loft.
- loftˈi·ly adverb
- loftˈi·ness noun