- An example of lofty used as an adjective is the phrase a lofty tree which means a tree that is very tall.
- An example of lofty used as an adjective is the phrase lofty writing which means writing full of complex words, phrases and images.
- very high: a lofty peak in the Alps
- elevated; noble; sublime
- haughty; arrogant
- Of imposing height.
- Elevated in character; exalted.
- Affecting grandness; pompous.
- Arrogant; haughty.
Origin of loftyMiddle English, noble, from loft, upstairs room, sky; see loft.
(comparative loftier, superlative loftiest)
Middle English, noble, from loft (“upstairs room, sky").
- (informal) nickname for a tall (usually male) person