- The definition of lofty is very high in the air, elevated in character, or overly grand.
- An example of lofty used as an adjective is the phrase a lofty tree which means a tree that is very tall.
- An example of lofty used as an adjective is the phrase lofty writing which means writing full of complex words, phrases and images.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective loft·i·er, loft·i·est
- Of imposing height.
- Elevated in character; exalted.
- Affecting grandness; pompous.
- Arrogant; haughty.
Origin: Middle English, noble, from loft, upstairs room, sky; see loft.
- loftˈi·ly adverb
- loftˈi·ness noun