The mouth is below the nose.
- An example of below is the mouth being located under the nose.
- An example of below is an underground parking garage.
The definition of below means beneath, underneath, downstairs or lower than.
- in or to a lower place; beneath
- in a lower place on the page or on a later page (of a book, etc.)
- in or to hell
- on earth
- on or to a lower floor or deck
- in or to a lesser rank, amount, etc.
- at a temperature lower than zero: it reached 13 below
Origin of belowsee be- and low
- lower than, as in position, rank, or worth
- unworthy of: it is below her to say that
- In or to a lower place; beneath.
- a. On or to a lower floor; downstairs.b. Nautical On or to a lower deck.
- In a later part of a given text: figures quoted below.
- Farther down, as along a slope or valley.
- In or to hell or Hades.
- On the earth.
- a. In a lower rank or class.b. Below zero in temperature: 40° below.
- Underneath; beneath.
- Lower than, as on a graduated scale.
- Downstream of: launched the canoe just below the bridge.
- South of: Guatemala is below Mexico.
- Unsuitable to the rank or dignity of: Such petty behavior is below me.
Origin of belowMiddle English bilooghe bi by ; see by 1. loghe low ; see low 1.
OriginSee also: bellow
From Middle English bilooghe, from Middle English bi “by” + looghe “low”.
below - Legal Definition
- Later in the same document. See also infra.
- Of or in a court whose decision can be appealed. For example, when referring to a lower court’s decision, an appellant court may rule that “the decision below” is affirmed or reversed.