Layers of soil underlying the grass.
- The definition of underlying refers to something lying beneath, or the basic or root cause of something.
- A layer of minerals in the soil is an example of underlying minerals.
- A lack of educational opportunity is an example of an underlying cause of poverty.
- lying under; placed beneath
- fundamental; basic: the underlying cause
- really there but not easily seen or noticed: an underlying trend
- Finance having priority, as a claim
- Lying under or beneath something: underlying strata.
- Basic; fundamental: the underlying cause of the problem.
- Present but not readily noticeable: an underlying meaning.
- Taking precedence; prior: an underlying claim to compensation.
Variant of underlie