- The definition of underlying refers to something lying beneath, or the basic or root cause of something.
- A layer of minerals in the soil is an example of underlying minerals.
- A lack of educational opportunity is an example of an underlying cause of poverty.
underlying definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- lying under; placed beneath
- fundamental; basic: the underlying cause
- really there but not easily seen or noticed: an underlying trend
- Finance having priority, as a claim
underlying definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Lying under or beneath something: underlying strata.
- Basic; fundamental.
- Present but not obvious; implicit: an underlying meaning.
- Taking precedence; prior: an underlying financial claim.
Variant of underlie