- The definition of elementary is something simple and basic, or the entry-level into something.
- When you have a very basic knowledge of computer programming, this is an example of when you have an elementary knowledge.
- The very first years of your schooling that are an introduction into formal education are an example of elementary education.
A group of elementary school students.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- of first principles, rudiments, or fundamentals; introductory; basic; simple
- of or having to do with the formal instruction of children in basic subjects: elementary education
Origin: Middle English elementare ; from Classical Latin elementarius
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of, relating to, or constituting the basic, essential, or fundamental part: an elementary need for love and nurturing.
- Of, relating to, or involving the fundamental or simplest aspects of a subject: an elementary problem in statistics.
- Of or relating to an elementary school or elementary education: the elementary grades; elementary teachers.
- elˌe·men·taˈri·ly adverb
- elˌe·menˈta·ri·ness noun