- The definition of preliminary is something that happens or comes before the main action.
An example of a preliminary act is a drug screen that happens before a new employee is hired.
preliminary definition by Webster's New World
Origin: ; from French préliminaire or Modern Latin praeliminaris ; from Classical Latin prae- (see pre-) plush Classical Latin liminaris, of a threshold ; from limen, threshold (see limen)
- a preliminary step, procedure, etc.
- a preliminary examination
- a contest or match before the main one
Origin: Fr préliminaires, pl.
- preliminarily adverb
preliminary definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Something that precedes, prepares for, or introduces the main matter, action, or business.
- An academic test or examination that is preparatory to one that is longer, more complex, or more important.
- Sports A contest to determine the finalists in a competition.
- Sports An event that precedes the main event of a particular program, especially in boxing or wrestling.
- Printing The front matter of a book. Often used in the plural.
Origin: From New Latin praelīmināris : Latin prae-, pre- + Latin līmen, līmin-, threshold.
- pre·limˌi·narˈi·ly adverb