- The definition of final is coming to an end or having to do with an end.
An example of final used as an adjective is in the phrase "his final moment," which means the last moment of his life.
- Final is defined as the last of something, or a test at the end of a class.
An example of a final is the last math test of a school year.
final definition by Webster's New World
- of or coming at the end; last; concluding: the final chapter
- leaving no further chance for action, discussion, or change; deciding; conclusive: a final decree
- having to do with the basic or ultimate purpose, aim, or end: a final cause
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin finalis ; from finis, end: see finish
- anything final
- the last of a series of contests, trials, etc.
- a final or concluding examination
final definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Forming or occurring at the end; last: the final scene of a film.
- Of or constituting the end result of a succession or process; ultimate: an act with both an immediate and a final purpose.
- Not to be changed or reconsidered; unalterable: The judge's decision is final. See Synonyms at last1.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin fīnālis, from fīnis, end.
- fiˈnal·ly adverb