- The definition of final is coming to an end or having to do with an end.
An example of final used as an adjective is in the phrase "his final moment," which means the last moment of his life.
- Final is defined as the last of something, or a test at the end of a class.
An example of a final is the last math test of a school year.
- of or coming at the end; last; concluding: the final chapter
- leaving no further chance for action, discussion, or change; deciding; conclusive: a final decree
- having to do with the basic or ultimate purpose, aim, or end: the final destination
Origin of finalMiddle English from Old French from Classical Latin finalis from finis, end: see finish
- anything final
- [pl.] the last of a series of contests, trials, etc.
- a final or concluding examination
- Forming or occurring at the end; last: the final scene of a film.
- Of or constituting the end result of a succession or process; ultimate: an act with both an immediate and a final purpose. See Synonyms at last1.
- Not to be changed or reconsidered; unalterable: The judge's decision is final.
Origin of finalMiddle English from Old French from Latin fīnālis from fīnis end
- (followed by "one") The ending, the last.
- (US) A final examination; a test or examination given at the end of a term or class; the test that concludes a class.
- (sports) The last round, game or match in a contest, after which the winner is determined.
- A contest that narrows a field of contestants (finalists) to ranked positions, usually in numbered places (1st place/prize, 2nd place/prize, etc.) or a winner and numbered runners-up (1st runner-up, etc.).
- (phonology) The final part of a syllable, the combination of medial and rime in phonetics and phonology.
- (music) The tonic or keynote of a Gregorian mode, and hence the final note of any convential melody played in that mode.
(comparative more final, superlative most final)
- Last; ultimate.
- final solution; the final day of a school term
- Conclusive; decisive.
- a final judgment; the battle of Waterloo brought the contest to a final issue
- Respecting an end or object to be gained; respecting the purpose or ultimate end in view.
- (linguistics) Word-final, occurring at the end of a word.