- The definition of decisive is having the ability to make decisions or something that determines what comes next.
- An example of decisive is a person who always makes up her mind firmly and quickly.
- An example of decisive is the information gained from a student's success in the classes which they take to determine their interest in their major field of study.
- that settles or can settle a dispute, question, etc.; conclusive: decisive evidence
- determining or closely affecting what comes next; critically important; crucial: a decisive moment in his career
- having the quality of decision; showing determination or firmness: a decisive tone of voice
Origin: Midieval Latin decisivus ; from Classical Latin decisus: see decision
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Having the power to decide; conclusive.
- Characterized by decision and firmness; resolute.
- Beyond doubt; unmistakable: a decisive defeat.
- de·ciˈsive·ly adverb
- de·ciˈsive·ness noun