- The definition of persistent is someone or something that is stubborn or keeps on going.
An example of persistent is rain that hasn't let up for weeks on end.
persistent definition by Webster's New World
- refusing to relent; continuing, esp. in the face of opposition, interference, etc.; stubborn; persevering
- continuing to exist or endure; lasting without change
- constantly repeated; continued
- Bot. remaining attached permanently or for a longer than normal time, as some leaves, perianths, etc.
- remaining essentially unchanged over a long period of geologic time, as a species
- remaining for life: said of such parts retained in the adult that normally disappear or wither at an early stage
Origin: Classical Latin persistens, present participle of persistere: see persist
- persistently adverb
persistent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Refusing to give up or let go; persevering obstinately.
- Insistently repetitive or continuous: a persistent ringing of the telephone.
- Existing or remaining in the same state for an indefinitely long time; enduring: persistent rumors; a persistent infection.
- Botany Lasting past maturity without falling off, as the calyx on an eggplant or the scales of a pine cone.
- Zoology Retained permanently, rather than disappearing in an early stage of development: the persistent gills of fishes.
- per·sisˈtent·ly adverb