- The definition of persistent is someone or something that is stubborn or keeps on going.
An example of persistent is rain that hasn't let up for weeks on end.
- refusing to relent; continuing, esp. in the face of opposition, interference, etc.; stubborn; persevering
- continuing to exist or endure; lasting without change
- constantly repeated; continued
- Bot. remaining attached permanently or for a longer than normal time, as some leaves, perianths, etc.
- remaining essentially unchanged over a long period of geologic time, as a species
- remaining for life: said of such parts retained in the adult that normally disappear or wither at an early stage
Origin: L persistens, present participle of persistere: see persist
- persistently adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Refusing to give up or let go; persevering obstinately.
- Insistently repetitive or continuous: a persistent ringing of the telephone.
- Existing or remaining in the same state for an indefinitely long time; enduring: persistent rumors; a persistent infection.
- Botany Lasting past maturity without falling off, as the calyx on an eggplant or the scales of a pine cone.
- Zoology Retained permanently, rather than disappearing in an early stage of development: the persistent gills of fishes.
- per·sisˈtent·ly adverb
persistent - Computer Definition
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.