- refusing to relent; continuing, esp. in the face of opposition, interference, etc.; stubborn; persevering
- continuing to exist or endure; lasting without change
- constantly repeated; continued
- Bot. remaining attached permanently or for a longer than normal time, as some leaves, perianths, etc.
- remaining essentially unchanged over a long period of geologic time, as a species
- remaining for life: said of such parts retained in the adult that normally disappear or wither at an early stage
Origin of persistentClassical Latin persistens, present participle of persistere: see persist