- The definition of pertinacious is a determined person, or a person's stubborn hold onto their opinion.
An example of pertinacious is a car salesman who won't take no for an answer.
- holding firmly to some purpose, belief, or action, often stubbornly or obstinately
- hard to get rid of; unyielding; persistent
Origin: from Classical Latin pertinax (gen. pertinacis), firm from per-, intensive plush tenax, holding fast from tenere, to hold: see thin
- pertinaciously adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Holding tenaciously to a purpose, belief, opinion, or course of action.
- Stubbornly or perversely persistent. See Synonyms at obstinate.
Origin: From Latin pertināx, pertināc- : per-, per- + tenāx, tenacious (from tenēre, to hold; see ten- in Indo-European roots).
- perˌti·naˈcious·ly adverb
- perˌti·naˈcious·ness noun