- The definition of pertinacious is a determined person, or a person's stubborn hold onto their opinion.
An example of pertinacious is a car salesman who won't take no for an answer.
- holding firmly to some purpose, belief, or action, often stubbornly or obstinately
- hard to get rid of; unyielding; persistent
Origin of pertinacious; from Classical Latin pertinax (gen. pertinacis), firm ; from per-, intensive + tenax, holding fast ; from tenere, to hold: see thin
- Holding tenaciously or stubbornly to a purpose, opinion, or course of action: a pertinacious heretic; pertinacious defiance.
- Extremely persistent or unyielding: pertinacious researchers.
Origin of pertinaciousFrom Latin pertināx, pertināc- : per-, per- + tenāx, tenacious (from tenēre, to hold; see ten- in Indo-European roots).
(comparative more pertinacious, superlative most pertinacious)
From Latin pertinax; per- â€˜veryâ€™ + tenax â€˜tenaciousâ€™.