- The definition of initial is something that comes first.
An example of initial is the first phone call in a series of calls.
- Your initial means the first letter of your name.
An example of initial is the letter "M" when your name is Molly.
- Initial is defined as to sign or mark something using just the first letter or letters of your name.
An example of initial is when you have to write the first two letters of your name next to a contract clause when signing a contract.
Origin of initial; from French or L: French ; from Classical Latin initialis ; from initium, a beginning ; from inire, to go into, enter upon, begin ; from in-, into, in + ire, to go ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ei- from source Gothic iddja
- a capital, or uppercase, letter; specif.,
- an extra-large capital letter at the start of a printed paragraph, chapter, etc.
- the first letter of a name, specif. when used in place of that name
- Biol. a primordial cell that determines the basic pattern of derived tissues; specif., a meristematic cell
- Of, relating to, or occurring at the beginning; first: took the initial step toward peace.
- Designating the first letter or letters of a word.
- a. The first letter of a proper name.b. initials The first letter of each word of a person's full name considered as a unit: stationery monogrammed with her initials.
- The first letter of a word.
- A large, often highly decorated letter set at the beginning of a chapter, verse, or paragraph.
transitive verbin·i·tialed, in·i·tial·ing, in·i·tials also in·i·tialled or in·i·tial·ling
Origin of initialLatin initialis, from initium, beginning; see ei- in Indo-European roots.
detail of an illuminated manuscript
- Chronologically first, early; of or pertaining to the beginning, cause or origin.
- Our initial admiration for their efficiency gave way to disgust about their methods.
- The initial stages of a syndrome may differ vastly from the final symptoms.
- Spatially first, placed at the beginning, in the first position; especially said of the first letter of a word.
- The initial letter of names is usually printed with a capital letter.
- The first letter of a word or a name.
- In plural, the first letter of each word of a person's full name considered as a unit
- You can get your initials printed at the top.
- (typography, calligraphy) A distinguished initial letter of a chapter or section of a document.
- (phonology) onset, part of a syllable that precedes the syllable nucleus in phonetics and phonology.
(third-person singular simple present initials, present participle initialing or initialling, simple past and past participle initialed or initialled)