- The definition of initial is something that comes first.
An example of initial is the first phone call in a series of calls.
- Your initial means the first letter of your name.
An example of initial is the letter "M" when your name is Molly.
- Initial is defined as to sign or mark something using just the first letter or letters of your name.
An example of initial is when you have to write the first two letters of your name next to a contract clause when signing a contract.
initial definition by Webster's New World
Origin: ; from French or L: French ; from Classical Latin initialis ; from initium, a beginning ; from inire, to go into, enter upon, begin ; from in-, into, in plush ire, to go ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ei- from source Gothic iddja
- a capital, or uppercase, letter; specif.,
- an extra-large capital letter at the start of a printed paragraph, chapter, etc.
- the first letter of a name
- Biol. a primordial cell that determines the basic pattern of derived tissues; specif., a meristematic cell
initial definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, relating to, or occurring at the beginning; first: took the initial step toward peace.
- Designating the first letter or letters of a word.
- a. The first letter of a proper name.b. initials The first letter of each word of a person's full name considered as a unit: stationery monogrammed with her initials.
- The first letter of a word.
- A large, often highly decorated letter set at the beginning of a chapter, verse, or paragraph.
Origin: Latin initiālis, from initium, beginning; see ei- in Indo-European roots.
- in·iˈtial·ly adverb
- in·iˈtial·ness noun