Initially is defined as at the beginning.
If you thought at first it was going to rain but you do not think so any more, this is an example of a situation where you initially thought it would rain.
at the beginning; at first
- At the beginning.
- Initially, I found city life incredibly difficult, but now I'm used to it.
initial + -ly
- Let one jar be initially FIG.
- Steel bars separated us initially, until it was clear she had no desire to harm me.
- Again, consider the point of the solid which was initially at A in the figure.
- He cursed the talent that initially drew him to her, forced to wait for the fog to clear.
- Moreover, if a natural water is so liable to pathogenic pollution as to demand filtration of this kind, it ought at once to be discarded for an initially pure supply; not necessarily pure in an apparent or even in a chemical sense, for water may be visibly coloured, or may contain considerable proportions both of organic and inorganic impurity, and yet be tasteless and free from pathogenic pollution.