- (UK) simple past tense and past participle of initial
Variant of initial
having to do with, indicating, or occurring at the beginning: the initial stage of a disease, the initial letter of a word
Origin of initial; from French or L: French ; from Classical Latin initialis ; from initium, a beginning ; from inire, to go into, enter upon, begin ; from in-, into, in + ire, to go ; from Indo-European base an unverified form ei- from source Gothic iddja
- a capital, or uppercase, letter; specif.,
- an extra-large capital letter at the start of a printed paragraph, chapter, etc.
- the first letter of a name
- Biol. a primordial cell that determines the basic pattern of derived tissues; specif., a meristematic cell