- Archaic a member of a military engineer unit trained to construct or demolish bridges, roads, trenches, etc.
- a person who goes before, preparing the way for others, as an early settler or a scientist doing exploratory work
- a plant, animal, etc. that starts a new cycle of life in a barren area
Origin of pioneerFrench pionnier from Old French peonier, foot soldier from peon: see peon
- being one of the first of its kind
- of or characteristic of the settlers of a new territory
- to prepare or open (a way, etc.)
- to be a pioneer in or of