transitive verb-·plored′, -·plor′ing
- to look into closely; examine carefully; investigate
- to travel in (a region previously unknown or little known) in order to learn about its natural features, inhabitants, etc.
- Med. to examine (an organ, wound, etc.) by operation, probing, etc., as in order to make a diagnosis
Origin of exploreClassical Latin explorare, to search out from ex-, out + plorare, to cry out, wail
- to explore new regions, etc.
- to search carefully, systematically, or scientifically for oil, minerals, treasure, etc.