- The definition of investigate is to look into something or someone in order to try to discover the truth or to piece together a sequence of events.
- An example of investigate is when you run a background check on someone to find out what kind of person he is.
- An example of investigate is when the police try to solve a crime.
- An example of investigate is when you check the source of material to determine its truth.
A research scientist investigates evidence under a microscope.Licensed from iStockPhoto
Origin: from Classical Latin investigatus, past participle of investigare, to trace out from in-, inch(es) plush vestigare, to track from vestigium, a track
- investigable adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb in·ves·ti·gat·ed, in·ves·ti·gat·ing, in·ves·ti·gates verb, transitive
Origin: Latin investīgāre, investīgāt- : in-, in; see in-2 + vestīgāre, to track (from vestīgium, footprint).
- in·vesˈti·ga·ble adjective
- in·vesˈti·ga·toˌry adjective