- The definition of investigate is to look into something or someone in order to try to discover the truth or to piece together a sequence of events.
- An example of investigate is when you run a background check on someone to find out what kind of person he is.
- An example of investigate is when the police try to solve a crime.
- An example of investigate is when you check the source of material to determine its truth.
A research scientist investigates evidence under a microscope.
investigate definition by Webster's New World
Origin: ; from Classical Latin investigatus, past participle of investigare, to trace out ; from in-, in plush vestigare, to track ; from vestigium, a track
- investigable adjective
investigate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb in·ves·ti·gat·ed, in·ves·ti·gat·ing, in·ves·ti·gates verb, transitive
Origin: Latin investīgāre, investīgāt- : in-, in; see in-2 + vestīgāre, to track (from vestīgium, footprint).
- in·vesˈti·ga·ble adjective
- in·vesˈti·ga·toˌry adjective