- The definition of an investigation is careful research or examination.
An example of an investigation is the FBI researching a criminal case.
Students conduct an investigation of certain rocks.
investigation definition by Webster's New World
- an investigating or being investigated
- a careful search or examination; systematic inquiry
Origin: Middle English investigacioun ; from Middle French ; from Classical Latin investigatio
- investigational adjective
investigation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act or process of investigating.
- A detailed inquiry or systematic examination. See Synonyms at inquiry.
- in·vesˌti·gaˈtion·al adjective