investigation[in ves′tə gā′s̸hən]
- The definition of an investigation is careful research or examination.
An example of an investigation is the FBI researching a criminal case.
Students conduct an investigation of certain rocks.
- an investigating or being investigated
- a careful search or examination; systematic inquiry
Origin of investigationMiddle English investigacioun ; from Middle French ; from Classical Latin investigatio
- The act or process of investigating: a politician under investigation.
- A careful examination or search in order to discover facts or gain information. See Synonyms at inquiry.