A service man performs an inspection of a furnace.
An example of an inspection is checking a house for any types of plumbing or electrical problems.
- critical examination
- official examination or review, as of troops
Origin of inspectionOld French from Classical Latin inspectio from inspectus: see inspect
- The act of inspecting.
- Official examination or review, as of barracks or troops.
- Act of examining something, often closely.
- Upon closer inspection, the animal turned out to be a dolphin, not a shark!
- Organization that checks that certain laws or rules are obeyed.
- The inspection fined the restaurant's owner because the kitchen was dirty.
From Middle French, from Old French inspeccion, from Latin inspectiō (“examination, inspection”), from the verb inspectō (“I inspect”), from spectō (“I observe, I watch”), frequentive of speciō (“I look at”).
inspection - Legal Definition