- The definition of an inspector is a police officer ranked below a police chief, a person in the fire department who is in charge of fire prevention, or a person who is entrusted with the authority to check something to determine quality.
- A police officer who reports directly to the chief is an example of an inspector.
- A fire department officer who reviews public building to make sure they are safe against fire is an example of an inspector.
- A person who works in a factory and who checks the finished product to make sure that it lives up to the company's quality control standards is an example of an inspector.
A heating inspector checks a boiler.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a person who inspects; official examiner; overseer
- an officer on a police force, ranking next below a superintendent or police chief
- a fire department officer in charge of prevention of fires, as in public buildings
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun Abbr. ins. or insp.
- One who is appointed or employed to inspect something.
- A police officer ranking next below superintendent.
- in·specˈto·ral, inˌspec·toˈri·al adjective
- in·specˈtor·shipˌ noun