A heating inspector checks a boiler.
- A police officer who reports directly to the chief is an example of an inspector.
- A fire department officer who reviews public building to make sure they are safe against fire is an example of an inspector.
- A person who works in a factory and who checks the finished product to make sure that it lives up to the company's quality control standards is an example of an inspector.
The definition of an inspector is a police officer ranked below a police chief, a person in the fire department who is in charge of fire prevention, or a person who is entrusted with the authority to check something to determine quality.
- a person who inspects; official examiner; overseer
- an officer on a police force, ranking next below a superintendent or police chief
- a fire department officer in charge of prevention of fires, as in public buildings
nounAbbr. ins. or insp.
- One who is appointed or employed to inspect something.
- A police officer ranking next below superintendent.
- in·spec′to·ral, in′spec·to′ri·al
From Latin in- + spectāre, to look.