- The definition of a controller is a person in charge, especially the main accounting officer in a business.
An example of a controller is the director of a learning center.
- the chief accounting officer with responsibility for internal auditing, as in a business, government (usually sp. comptroller), or institution
- a person or device that controls
Origin of controllerMiddle English countrollour ; from Anglo-French contrerollour ; from Old French contreroller: see control
- One that controls: a controller, not an observer of events.
- also comp·trol·ler An officer who audits accounts and supervises the financial affairs of a corporation or of a governmental body.
- A regulating mechanism, as in a vehicle or electric device.
- One who controls something.
- A person who audits, and manages the financial affairs of a company or government; a comptroller.
- A mechanism that controls or regulates the operation of a machine, especially a peripheral device in a computer.
- (nautical) An iron block, usually bolted to a ship's deck, for controlling the running out of a chain cable. The links of the cable tend to drop into hollows in the block, and thus hold fast until disengaged.
controller - Computer Definition
(1) A device used to play video games. See video game controller.
(2) An electronic circuit board or system. In a computer, controllers contain the circuitry to run a peripheral device and are either contained on a plug-in expansion board or on the motherboard. In larger computers, a controller may be contained on one or more boards or in an external, stand-alone cabinet.