A couple consult with their accountant.
- The definition of an accountant is someone who keeps or inspects money and investment records.
The person reviewing your finances when you file taxes at an office is an example of an accountant.
- One who renders account; one accountable.
- A reckoner, or someone who maintains financial matters for a person(s)
- (accounting) One who is skilled in, keeps, or adjusts, accounts; an officer in a public office, who has charge of the accounts.
- (accounting) One whose profession includes organizing, maintaining and auditing the records of another. The records are usually, but not always, financial records.
(comparative more accountant, superlative most accountant)
- (obsolete) accountable
(adjective): Followed by the word to.
- First attested in the early 15th century.
accountant - Investment & Finance Definition
A highly trained professional who is responsible for reporting financial results for a company or individual in accordance with governmental and professional regulations. A certified public accountant is a person who has passed a licensing test, has taken a minimum number of college courses, and has met experience guidelines established by the state of residence. See also certified public accountant.