A pet owner is an example of someone who is accountable for the well being and behavior of his or her pet.
- obliged to account for one's acts; responsible
- capable of being accounted for; explainable
- Expected or required to account for one's actions; answerable. See Synonyms at responsible.
- Capable of being explained: an accountable phenomenon.
- ac·count′a·bil′i·ty, ac·count′a·ble·ness
(comparative more accountable, superlative most accountable)
- Having accountability (individuals have accountability); answerable.
- Every man is accountable to God for his conduct.
- You will be held accountable for your misdemeanors.
- Requiring accountability (property or funds require accountability).
- Liable to be called on to render an account;
- Being answerable for.
- Being liable for.
- (rare) Capable of being accounted for; explicable; explainable.
- First attested around 1400.
- account + -able