- The definition of accountable is being responsible for something or someone.
A pet owner is an example of someone who is accountable for the well being and behavior of his or her pet.
- obliged to account for one's acts; responsible
- capable of being accounted for; explainable
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Liable to being called to account; answerable. See Synonyms at responsible.
- That can be explained: an accountable phenomenon.
- ac·countˌa·bilˈi·ty, ac·countˈa·ble·ness noun
- ac·countˈa·bly adverb