The definition of answerable refers to someone being responsible and accountable.
An example of someone who is answerable to someone else is a teacher who is accountable to her principal.
- subject to being called to account; responsible
- that can be answered or shown to be wrong: an answerable argument
- Archaic in proportion; corresponding
- Subject to being called to answer; accountable: answerable for one's actions; answerable to one's supervisor. See Synonyms at responsible.
- Capable of being answered or refuted: an answerable charge.
- Archaic Suitable; appropriate.
- an′swer·a·bil′i·ty, an′swer·a·ble·ness
(comparative more answerable, superlative most answerable)
- Obliged to answer or be called to account (to somebody); accountable, responsible.
- Will any man argue that . . . he can not be justly punished, but is answerable only to God? --Swift.
- (archaic) Correspondent, in accordance; comparable (to).
- What wit and policy of man is answerable to their discreet and orderly course? --Holland.
- (now rare) Proportionate; commensurate in amount; suitable.
- (rare) Capable of being answered or refuted; admitting a satisfactory answer.
- The argument, though subtle, is yet answerable. --Johnson.
From answer + -able.