- Responsible is defined as making good decisions and caring for others.
An example of responsible is the type of person who you trust to watch your child.
- The definition of responsible is being the person thing that caused something to happen.
An example of responsible is the driver who ran a red light in an accident.
responsible definition by Webster's New World
- expected or obliged to account (for something, to someone); answerable; accountable
- involving accountability, obligation, or duties: a responsible position
- that can be charged with being the cause, agent, or source of something: the moisture that is responsible for the rust
- able to distinguish between right and wrong and to think and act rationally, and hence accountable for one's behavior
- readily assuming obligations, duties, etc.; dependable; reliable
- able to pay debts or meet business obligations
Origin: Middle French ; from Classical Latin responsus: see response
responsible definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Liable to be required to give account, as of one's actions or of the discharge of a duty or trust.
- Involving personal accountability or ability to act without guidance or superior authority: a responsible position within the firm.
- Being a source or cause.
- Able to make moral or rational decisions on one's own and therefore answerable for one's behavior.
- Able to be trusted or depended upon; reliable.
- Based on or characterized by good judgment or sound thinking: responsible journalism.
- Having the means to pay debts or fulfill obligations.
- Required to render account; answerable: The cabinet is responsible to the parliament.
Origin: Obsolete French, corresponding to, from Latin respōnsus, past participle of respondēre, to respond; see respond.
- re·sponˈsi·ble·ness noun
- re·sponˈsi·bly adverb