reliable[ri lī′ə bəl]
The definition of reliable is dependable or capable of being trusted.
An example of reliable is a punctual mail carrier.
that can be relied on; dependable; trustworthy
- Capable of being relied on; dependable: a reliable assistant; a reliable car.
- Yielding the same or compatible results in different clinical experiments or statistical trials.
- re·li′a·bil′i·ty, re·li′a·ble·ness
(comparative more reliable, superlative most reliable)
- Suitable or fit to be relied on; worthy of dependence or reliance; trustworthy
- A reliable witness to the truth of the miracles. -- Andrews Norton.
- The best means, and most reliable pledge, of a higher object. -- Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
- According to General Livingston's humorous account, his own village of Elizabethtown was not much more reliable, being peopled in those agitated times by unknown, unrecommended strangers, guilty-looking Tories, and very knavish Whigs. --Washington Irving.
- (signal processing, of a communication protocol) Such that either a sent packet will reach its destination, even if it requires retransmission, or the sender will be told that it didn't
- Something or someone reliable or dependable
- the old reliables
From Scottish raliabill, itself from to rely + -able