- A trusty old dog who is always by your side is an example of something that would be described as dependable.
- Someone who you can always count on to do what he promises is an example of someone who would be described as dependable.
The definition of dependable is someone or something who is reliable and trustworthy or who can be counted on.
Trustworthy. See Synonyms at reliable.
- de·pend′a·bil′i·ty de·pend′a·ble·ness
(comparative more dependable, superlative most dependable)
- Able, or easily able to be depended on.
- He was a very dependable person.
- A reliable person or thing.
- Even many police and fire departments depend on Harleys - if these bikes are trusted and dependable enough for law enforcement and rescue personnel, they can be counted on for the recreational rider as well as the bike enthusiast.
- Compulsive personalities are conscientious, reliable, dependable, orderly, and methodical, but with an inflexibility that often makes them incapable of adapting to changing circumstances.
- Many parents choose center-based care because they believe the presence of multiple caregivers, larger groups of children, and state inspections make them both safer and more dependable.
- Today Omega's fashionable and dependable Speedmaster is the watch of choice for Agent 007, James Bond, and many celebrities from film, sports and music adore their Omega watches.
- Insecure attachment develops when a primary care-giver does not consistently respond in ways that are warm, affectionate, loving, dependable, and sensitive to the infant's needs.