- Dependant is defined as relying on or needing another.
An example of someone dependant is a baby animal who needs his or her mother for milk; dependent baby animal.
- The definition of a dependant is a person who financially relies on another.
An example of a dependant is a young child who relies on his parents for financial support.
This baby penguin is dependant on its parent.
dependant definition by American Heritage Dictionary
Variant of dependent
- hanging down
- influenced, controlled, or determined by something else; contingent
- relying (on another) for support or aid
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French dependant ; from Classical Latin dependens, present participle of dependere: see depend
- a person who depends on someone else for existence, support, etc.
- Obsolete a subordinate part
- dependently adverb