- Dependence is defined as being controlled, influenced or reliant on someone or something else.
- An example of dependence is someone needing their job to pay their mortgage.
- An example of dependence is a plant requiring sunlight and water to grow.
- the condition or fact of being dependent; specif.,
- a being contingent upon or influenced, controlled, or determined by something else
- reliance (on another) for support or aid
- reliance; trust
- dependency (sense )
Origin of dependenceMiddle English dependaunce ; from Old French dependance or Medieval Latin dependentia ; from Classical Latin dependens: see dependent
Also spelled dependance
- a. The state of being determined, influenced, or controlled by something else: the economy's dependence on oil.b. The state of being dependent on another for financial support.
- The condition of being dependent on a substance such as a drug or on a given behavior: alcohol dependence; gambling dependence.
- Archaic Trust; reliance.
From French dépendance