- tested; proved
- trustworthy; faithful
- having endured trials and troubles
The definition of tried is to have attempted, tested, or having been legally evaluated for guilt or innocence.
An example of tried is the long winning list of cheeses tested over and over in a competition; much-tried cheeses.
Past tense and past participle of try
- Thoroughly tested and proved to be good or trustworthy.
- Made to undergo trials or distress. Often used in combination: a much-tried teacher.
- Simple past tense and past participle of try.
- I tried to call you on your cell phone, but I didn't get an answer.
- Alex tried to pay, but she wouldn't let him.
- You tried to dance and fell upon the floor.
- He said you tried to call him.
- I have tried many machines, and I find the Hammond is the best adapted to the peculiar needs of my work.