- The definition of steadfast is fixed, firm and staying strong.
An example of steadfast is always remaining faithful to one's religious beliefs.
steadfast definition by Webster's New World
- firm, fixed, settled, or established
- not changing, fickle, or wavering; constant
Origin: Middle English stedefast ; from Old English stedefæste: see stead and amp; fast
steadfast definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Fixed or unchanging; steady.
- Firmly loyal or constant; unswerving. See Synonyms at faithful.
Origin: Middle English stedefast, from Old English stedefǽst : stede, place; see stead + fǽst, fixed, fast; see past- in Indo-European roots.
- steadˈfastˌly adverb
- steadˈfastˌness noun