transitive verbstabilized, stabilizing
- to make stable, or firm
- to keep from changing or fluctuating, as in price
- to give stability to (an airplane, ship, etc.) with a stabilizer
Origin of stabilizeFrench stabiliser ; from Classical Latin stabilis: see stable and amp; -ize
verbsta·bi·lized, sta·bi·liz·ing, sta·bi·liz·es
- To make stable or steadfast.
- To maintain the stability of (an airplane or ship, for example) by means of a stabilizer.
- To keep from fluctuating; fix the level of: stabilize prices.
(third-person singular simple present stabilizes, present participle stabilizing, simple past and past participle stabilized)