- Uphold is defined as to support or defend, or to keep from sinking.
- An example of uphold is to protect the right to freedom of speech.
- An example of uphold is work to keep a ship afloat.
uphold definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- upholder noun
uphold definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb up·held , up·hold·ing, up·holds
- To hold aloft; raise: upheld the banner proudly.
- To prevent from falling or sinking; support.
- To maintain or affirm against opposition. See Synonyms at support.
- up·holdˈer noun