- An example of uphold is to protect the right to freedom of speech.
- An example of uphold is work to keep a ship afloat.
Uphold is defined as to support or defend, or to keep from sinking.
transitive verbup·held , up·hold·ing, up·holds
- To hold aloft; raise: upheld the banner proudly.
- To prevent from falling or sinking; support: beams that uphold the roof.
- To maintain or affirm: uphold a standard of behavior. See Synonyms at support.
(third-person singular simple present upholds, present participle upholding, simple past upheld, past participle upheld or archaic upholden)
- To hold up; to lift on high; to elevate.
- To keep erect; to support; to sustain; to keep from falling; to maintain.
- To support by approval or encouragement.