- Recommend is defined as to suggest someone or something as a good match for a function or position.
An example of to recommend is for an old boss to write a letter about your work experience to a new employer.
- To recommend is defined as to advise or counsel someone.
An example of to recommend is for a teacher to suggest a class for a student to take.
- to give in charge; commit; entrust: recommended to our care
- to suggest favorably as suited for some use, function, position, etc.: to recommend a book, a doctor, etc.
- to make acceptable or pleasing: much on the island to recommend it
- to advise; counsel; suggest: to recommend that something be done
Origin: Middle English recomenden from Midieval Latin recommendare: see re- and amp; commend
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb rec·om·mend·ed, rec·om·mend·ing, rec·om·mends verb, transitive
- To praise or commend (one) to another as being worthy or desirable; endorse: recommended him for the job; recommended a car instead of an SUV.
- To make (the possessor, as of an attribute) attractive or acceptable: Honesty recommends any person.
- To commit to the charge of another; entrust.
- To advise or counsel: She recommended that we be on time. See Synonyms at advise.
Origin: Middle English recomenden, from Medieval Latin recommendāre : Latin re-, re- + Latin commendāre, to entrust, commend; see commend.
- recˌom·mendˈa·ble adjective
- recˌom·mendˈer noun