- To denounce is defined as to take a public stand against something and make clear you don't like or are condemning it.
An example of denounce is when you publicly speak out against corporate pollution.
denounce definition by Webster's New World
- to accuse publicly; inform against: to denounce an accomplice in crime
- to condemn strongly as evil
- to give formal notice of the ending of (a treaty, armistice, etc.)
- Obsolete to announce, esp. in a menacing way
Origin: Middle English denouncen ; from Old French denoncier ; from Classical Latin denuntiare: see denunciation
denounce definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb de·nounced, de·nounc·ing, de·nounc·es
- To condemn openly as being evil or reprehensible. See Synonyms at criticize.
- To accuse formally.
- To give formal announcement of the ending of (a treaty).
Origin: Middle English denouncen, to proclaim, from Anglo-Norman denuncier and Medieval Latin dēnūntiāre, both from Latin : dē-, de- + nūntiāre, to announce (from nūntius, messenger; see neu- in Indo-European roots).
- de·nounceˈment noun
- de·nouncˈer noun