- Tax is a required payment on goods, property, etc. that goes to the government.
An example of a tax is a portion taken out of weekly paychecks and sent to the government.
- Tax is defined as to make people pay a percentage of money to the government.
An example of to tax is to charge citizens self employment tax at the end of the year.
tax definition by Webster's New World
- Obsolete to determine the value of; assess
- to require to pay a percentage of income, property value, etc. for the support of a government
- to require to pay a special assessment, as in a society, labor union, etc.
- to assess a tax on (income, property, purchases, etc.)
- to impose a burden on; put a strain on: to tax one's strength
- to accuse; charge: to be taxed with negligence
Origin: Middle English taxen ; from Middle French taxer, to tax ; from Classical Latin taxare, to appraise, tax, censure ; from base of tangere, to touch (see tact): used interchangeably with tasken (see task) in Middle English
- a compulsory payment, usually a percentage, levied on income, property value, sales price, etc. for the support of a government
- a special assessment, as in a society, labor union, etc.
- a heavy demand; burden; strain
tax definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A contribution for the support of a government required of persons, groups, or businesses within the domain of that government.
- A fee or dues levied on the members of an organization to meet its expenses.
- A burdensome or excessive demand; a strain.
- To place a tax on (income, property, or goods).
- To exact a tax from.
- Law To assess (court costs, for example).
- To make difficult or excessive demands upon: a boss who taxed everyone's patience.
- To make a charge against; accuse: He was taxed with failure to appear on the day appointed.
Origin: Middle English, from taxen, to tax, from Old French taxer, from Medieval Latin taxāre, from Latin, to touch, reproach, reckon, frequentative of tangere, to touch; see tag- in Indo-European roots.
- taxˈer noun
tax - Business Definition
tax - Legal Definition