- the act of allowing, permitting, admitting, etc.: the allowance of a claim
- something allowed as a share; specif., an amount of money, food, etc. given regularly to a child, dependent, etc. or to military personnel for a specific purpose: travel allowance
- a reduction in the price of something in consideration of a large order or of turning in a used article, etc.
- the amount by which something is allowed to be more or less than stated, as to compensate for the weight of the container, inaccuracy of machining, etc.
transitive verb-·anced, -·anc·ing
- to put on an allowance or a ration
- to apportion economically
make allowance for
- to forgive or excuse because of mitigating factors
- to leave room, time, etc. for; allow for