- Present participle of allowance.
Variant of allowance
- the act of allowing, permitting, admitting, etc.: the allowance of a claim
- something allowed as a share; specif., an amount of money, food, etc. given regularly to a child, dependent, etc. or to military personnel for a specific purpose: travel allowance
- a reduction in the price of something in consideration of a large order or of turning in a used article, etc.
- the amount by which something is allowed to be more or less than stated, as to compensate for the weight of the container, inaccuracy of machining, etc.
transitive verballowanced, allowancing
- to put on an allowance or a ration
- to apportion economically
designating a horse race in which the weight each horse must carry is set by a formula tied to the horse's past performance and earnings
make allowanceor make allowances
to take circumstances, limitations, etc. into consideration
make allowance foror make allowances for
- to forgive or excuse because of mitigating factors
- to leave room, time, etc. for; allow for