Variant of allowance
- the act of allowing, permitting, admitting, etc.: the allowance of a claim
- something allowed as a share; specif., an amount of money, food, etc. given regularly to a child, dependent, etc. or to military personnel for a specific purpose: travel allowance
- a reduction in the price of something in consideration of a large order or of turning in a used article, etc.
- the amount by which something is allowed to be more or less than stated, as to compensate for the weight of the container, inaccuracy of machining, etc.
transitive verb allowanced, allowancing
- to put on an allowance or a ration
- to apportion economically
designating a horse race in which the weight each horse must carry is set by a formula tied to the horse's past performance and earnings