- the disturbance of air around a moving projectile
- the deflection of a projectile by the effects of the wind
- the degree of this
- in aiming a gun, the degree of adjustment of the wind gauge to compensate for such deflection
- the space between the inside wall of the barrel of a firearm and its projectile, to allow for the expansion of gas in firing, as measured by the difference in diameters of the bore and projectile
- the part of a plane's or ship's surface subject to aerodynamic forces
- a. The effect of wind on the course of a projectile.b. The point or degree at which the wind gauge or sight of a rifle or gun must be set to compensate for the effect of the wind.c. The difference in a given firearm between the diameter of the projectile fired and the diameter of the bore of the firearm.
- The disturbance of air caused by the passage of a fast-moving object, such as a railway train.
- Nautical The part of the surface of a ship exposed to the wind.
(usually uncountable, plural windages)
- (automotive) Drag on the crankshaft caused by oil splashing out of the sump when rotating at high speeds.
- (ballistics) The difference in diameter between the bore of a firearm and the shot
- (ballistics) Horizontal adjustment of the sight of a firearm
- (medicine, dated) A contusion caused by a projectile that does not enter the skin, due to either compressed air or a glancing blow
- (chiefly nautical) Exposure to the wind
wind +"Ž -age