A woman performs the task of shopping.
- Task is something that has to be done.
An example of a task is going to the supermarket or mailing a letter.
- To task is to drain someone's resources or to assign someone to do a particular job.
- An example of task is when a child took all his parent's energy.
- An example of task is when you assign Joe the job of taking out the garbage.
- a piece of work assigned to or demanded of a person
- any piece of work
- an undertaking involving labor or difficulty
Origin of taskMiddle English taske from Norman French tasque (OFr tasche) from Medieval Latin tasca, for taxa, a tax from Classical Latin taxare, to rate, value, tax
- to assign a task to; require or demand a piece of work of
- to put a burden on; strain; overtax
take someone to task
- A piece of work assigned or done as part of one's duties.
- A difficult or tedious undertaking: Finding qualified people to fill these specialized roles was a real task.
- A function to be performed; an objective: It is our task to renew consumer confidence.
transitive verbtasked, task·ing, tasks
- To assign a task to or impose a task on: The agency was tasked with creating an advertising campaign.
- Archaic To subject to strain or hardship: “The Professor's household was a modest one, and yet it tasked his ideas to keep it up to his wife's standard” ( Edith Wharton )
Origin of taskMiddle English taske imposed work, tax from Old North French tasque from Vulgar Latin tasca alteration of taxa from Latin taxāre to feel, reproach, reckon ; see tax .
- Adjectives often applied to "task": difficult, easy, simple, hard, tough, complex, not-so-easy, challenging, complicated, tricky, formidable, arduous, laborious, onerous, small, big, huge, enormous, tremendous, gigantic, mammoth, colossal, gargantuan, social, intellectual, theological, important, basic, trivial, unpleasant, demanding, pleasant, noble, painful, grim, responsible, rewarding, boring, ungrateful, delightful, glorious, agreeable.
(third-person singular simple present tasks, present participle tasking, simple past and past participle tasked)