A woman performs the task of shopping.
- Task is something that has to be done.
An example of a task is going to the supermarket or mailing a letter.
- To task is to drain someone's resources or to assign someone to do a particular job.
- An example of task is when a child took all his parent's energy.
- An example of task is when you assign Joe the job of taking out the garbage.
- a piece of work assigned to or demanded of a person
- any piece of work
- an undertaking involving labor or difficulty
Origin of taskMiddle English taske ; from Norman French tasque (OFr tasche) ; from Medieval Latin tasca, for taxa, a tax ; from Classical Latin taxare, to rate, value, tax
- to assign a task to; require or demand a piece of work of
- to put a burden on; strain; overtax
take someone to task
- A piece of work assigned or done as part of one's duties.
- A difficult or tedious undertaking: Finding qualified people to fill these specialized roles was a real task.
- A function to be performed; an objective: It is our task to renew consumer confidence.
transitive verbtasked, task·ing, tasks
- To assign a task to or impose a task on: The agency was tasked with creating an advertising campaign.
- Archaic To subject to strain or hardship: “The Professor's household was a modest one, and yet it tasked his ideas to keep it up to his wife's standard” (Edith Wharton).
Origin of taskMiddle English taske, imposed work, tax, from Old North French tasque, from Vulgar Latin *tasca, alteration of *taxa, from Latin taxare, to feel, reproach, reckon; see tax.
- Adjectives often applied to "task": difficult, easy, simple, hard, tough, complex, not-so-easy, challenging, complicated, tricky, formidable, arduous, laborious, onerous, small, big, huge, enormous, tremendous, gigantic, mammoth, colossal, gargantuan, social, intellectual, theological, important, basic, trivial, unpleasant, demanding, pleasant, noble, painful, grim, responsible, rewarding, boring, ungrateful, delightful, glorious, agreeable.
(third-person singular simple present tasks, present participle tasking, simple past and past participle tasked)