- Execution is defined as the process of putting someone to death, or the way a plan is carried out.
- An example of an execution is delivering a lethal injection to a convicted criminal.
- An example of an execution is the way that a project will be completed.
execution definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the act of executing; specif.,
- a carrying out, doing, producing, etc.
- a putting to death as in accordance with a legally imposed sentence
- the manner of doing or producing something, as of performing a piece of music or a role in a play
- Archaic effective action, esp. of a destructive nature
- a writ or order, issued by a court, giving authority to put a judgment into effect
- the legal method afforded for the enforcement of a judgment of a court
- the act of carrying out the provisions of such a writ or order
- the making valid of a legal instrument, as by signing, sealing, and delivering
Origin: Middle English execucion ; from Anglo-French ; from Old French execution ; from Classical Latin executio, exsecutio: see executor
execution definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- a. The act of executing something.b. The state of being executed.
- The manner, style, or result of performance: The plan was sound; its execution, faulty.
- The act or an instance of putting to death or being put to death as a lawful penalty.
- Law a. The carrying into effect of a court judgment.b. A writ empowering an officer to enforce a judgment.c. Validation of a legal document by the performance of all necessary formalities.
- Archaic Effective, punitive, or destructive action.
execution - Business Definition
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Business Terms Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The consummation of a security trade.
- The completion and delivery of a legal document.
- Successfully completing a task.
execution - Investment & Finance Definition
The consummation of a security trade.