An example of prosecution is a person getting arrested and going to court for armed robbery.
- a prosecuting, or following up
- the conducting of criminal proceedings in court against a person
- the conducting of any lawsuit
- the State as the party that institutes and carries on criminal proceedings in court
Origin of prosecutionMedieval Latin prosecutio ; from LL, a following ; from Classical Latin prosecutus: see prosecute
- The act of prosecuting.
- The institution and conduct of a legal proceeding: risked prosecution by breaking the law.
- See prosecuting attorney.
- The act of prosecuting a scheme or endeavor.
- The prosecution of the war fell to Winston Churchill.
- (law) The institution of legal proceedings (particularly criminal) against a person.
- (law) The prosecuting party.
prosecution - Legal Definition