- The definition of a prosecution is a criminal court proceeding against someone.
An example of prosecution is a person getting arrested and going to court for armed robbery.
prosecution definition by Webster's New World
- a prosecuting, or following up
- the conducting of criminal proceedings in court against a person
- the conducting of any lawsuit
- the State as the party that institutes and carries on criminal proceedings in court
Origin: Midieval Latin prosecutio ; from Late Latin a following ; from Classical Latin prosecutus: see prosecute
prosecution definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act of prosecuting.
- The institution and conduct of a legal proceeding.
- See prosecuting attorney.
prosecution - Legal Definition