- Pursuit is the act of following something, either to catch it or to engage in a specific activity.
- An example of pursuit is the quest for happiness.
- An example of pursuit is when you chase behind someone to try to catch him.
- An example of pursuit is playing tennis, which is a leisure pursuit.
- the act of pursuing
- an occupation, career, interest, etc. to which one devotes time and energy
Origin of pursuitMiddle English purseute ; from Old French poursuite
- The act or an instance of chasing or pursuing: the pursuit of the suspect by the police.
- The act of striving to gain or accomplish something: the pursuit of wealth; the pursuit of higher education.
- An activity, such as a vocation or hobby, engaged in regularly.
Origin of pursuitMiddle English, from Anglo-Norman pursuite, from pursure, to pursue; see pursue.
Old French poursuite, from the verb porsuir (“to pursue”).