- a Greek phrase, idiom, or custom
- the character, thought, culture, or ethical system of ancient Greece
- adoption of the Greek language, customs, etc.
Origin of HellenismClassical Greek Hell?nismos, imitation of the Greeks ; from Hell?nizein, to speak Greek
- An idiom or custom peculiar to the Greeks.
- The civilization and culture of ancient Greece.
- Admiration for and adoption of Greek ideas, style, or culture.
(countable and uncountable, plural Hellenisms)
- Any of the characteristics of ancient Greek culture, civilization, principles and ideals, including humanism, reason, the pursuit of knowledge and the arts, moderation and civic responsibility.
- The culture and civilization of the Hellenistic period.
- The admiration for and adoption of ancient Greek culture, ideas and civilization.
- The national character or culture of Greece.
- The belief in and worship of the Greek gods.