- The definition of following is coming next.
An example of following is the 5th grade to the 4th grade.
- A following is defined as a group of admirers.
An example of a following is a group of people who love a particular author.
- Following is defined as after.
An example of following used as a preposition is in the sentence, "Following lunch, the children played outside," which means that the children played outside after lunch.
following definition by Webster's New World
- that follows; next after: the following year
- to be mentioned immediately; to be dealt with next: the following people were chosen
- moving in the same direction that a ship is moving: said of the tide or wind
following definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Coming next in time or order: in the following chapter.
- Now to be enumerated: The following people will report for duty.
- Blowing in the same direction as the course of a ship or an aircraft. Used of wind.
following - Phrases/Idioms
- the one or ones to be mentioned immediately
- what follows