- Obs. the act or state of hearing
- a group of persons assembled to hear and see a speaker, a play, a concert, etc.
- all those persons who are tuned in to a particular radio or TV program
- all those persons who read what one writes or hear what one says; one's public
- an opportunity to have one's ideas heard; a hearing
- a formal interview with a person in a high position
Origin of audienceMiddle English and Old French from Classical Latin audientia, a hearing, listening from audiens, present participle of audire, to hear from Indo-European an unverified form awiz-dh-io from base an unverified form awis-, to perceive physically, grasp from source aesthete