- The definition of a conference is a formal meeting or an association of athlete teams.
- An example of a conference is a meeting between a parent and teacher to discuss a student's progress.
- An example of a conference is a group of college basketball teams in the same division.
- To conference is defined as to hold or participate in a formal meeting.
An example of to conference is to hold a meeting with fellow educators in a local hotel.
- the act of conversing or consulting on a serious matter
- a formal meeting of a number of people for discussion or consultation
- a meeting of committees from both branches of a legislature to reconcile the differences between bills passed by both branches
- a national or district governing body of the Methodist Church
- a national or district association of Mennonite or certain other Protestant churches
- a district governed or represented by a conference
- a national or regional association, as of colleges or their athletic teams
- a conferral; bestowalalso sp. con·fer′rence
Origin of conferenceFrench conférence from Medieval Latin conferentia from Classical Latin conferens, present participle of conferre: see confer
intransitive verb-·enced, -·enc·ing
- to participate in or hold a conference
- to confer, usually over some distance, by means of an electronic communications system or computer network
- a. A meeting for consultation or discussion.b. An exchange of views.c. A meeting of committees to settle differences between two legislative bodies.
- An assembly of clerical or of clerical and lay members from a particular district in various Protestant churches.
- Sports An association of teams.
- The act of conferring, as of an academic degree.
Origin of conferenceMedieval Latin cōnferentia from Latin cōnferēns cōnferent- present participle of cōnferre to bring together ; see confer .
- (politics) A multilateral diplomatic negotiation.
- (sciences) A formalized event where scientists present their research results in speeches, workshops, posters or by other means.
- (business) An event organized by a for-profit or non-profit organization to discuss a pressing issue -- like a new product, market trend or government regulation -- with a range of speakers.
- (sports) A group of sports teams that play each other on a regular basis.
(third-person singular simple present conferences, present participle conferencing, simple past and past participle conferenced)
From Middle French conférence, from Medieval Latin conferentia, from Latin conferens.