- The definition of confer is to consult or carry on a discussion.
An example of confer is for a company committee to have a discussion before deciding on a new employee.
confer definition by Webster's New World
- to give, grant, or bestow
- Obsolete to compare
Origin: Classical Latin conferre, to bring together, compare, confer ; from com-, together plush ferre, to bear
confer definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb con·ferred, con·fer·ring, con·fers verb, transitive
- To bestow (an honor, for example): conferred a medal on the hero; conferred an honorary degree on her.
- To invest with (a characteristic, for example): a carefully worded statement that conferred an aura of credibility.
Origin: Latin cōnferre : com-, com- + ferre, to bring; see bher-1 in Indo-European roots.
- con·ferˈment, con·ferˈral noun
- con·ferˈra·ble adjective
- con·ferˈrer noun