- The definition of a brainstorm is a sudden idea or plan.
When you suddenly come up with an idea for a new electronic device, seemingly out of nowhere, this is an example of a brainstorm.
- To brainstorm is to think about and try to come up with ideas or solutions to a problem, either on your own or in a group.
If you and your co-workers sit around and try to come up with new ideas for an ad campaign, this is an example of when you brainstorm ideas.
- Archaic a series of sudden, violent cerebral disturbances
- Informal a sudden inspiration, idea, or plan
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A sudden clever plan or idea.
- A sudden, violent disturbance of the mind.
- To consider or investigate (an issue, for example) by brainstorming.
- To think of or produce (a solution to a problem, for example) by brainstorming.
- brainˈstormˌer noun